Finished Object: Snoqualmie Sweater

I got my hair trimmed today, so it seemed like a good day for some pics of my finished Snoqualmie sweater!

(Except that I don’t have a good mirror for finished object selfies. Making my own clothes would be easier with a full-length mirror…) I was OBSESSED with this project while it was on the needles–it’s pretty much the only thing I did in August.

I’m quite happy with the final results–I added pockets, as well as a little bit of length, so it’s even more coat-like than the original. I’m not sure how much wear I will get out of this–it’s just too warm for me in Vancouver–but I am so in love with it, I don’t care.

I’ve actually been leaving it draped over a chair in the living room, so that I can admire it like an objet d’art.

I’m super happy with the fit across the bust and hips. I knit mine with less ease than recommended by the pattern, and the closer fit through the body works well for me. The arms, however… ended up long. I think the problem is that the armscyes are too deep. I’m not sure if this is something I screwed up, or if the pattern is written with too much length through the armholes. This is actually the first set-in sleeve sweater I have made; the armscye depth is something I will pay more attention to next time.

I actually knit the collar twice… At first I cast off the back of neck according to the pattern instructions (“bind off by knitting 2 stitches together out of every 4 stitches over cables”), and once the whole thing was seamed up, I found that the sweater had a tendency to slide down my arms. The shoulders/ back neck felt very loose, resulting in a sloppy-looking sweater. So I actually ripped out the collar and the back neck bind off, and then bound off by knitting 2 stitches together out of every 3 stitches instead. This cinched up the back neck, and vastly improved the fit of the whole sweater. Definitely worth re-knitting the collar to achieve this.

I had debated using some cool antler buttons, but decided that the sweater needed something larger, with contrast, in order to really look finished.

This was a very satisfying project! I’m currently working on an improv henley using recycled yarn, but the newly released (and maybe a little less warm) Charley is calling my name… Really into this style of sweater right now.

Full project deets on Ravelry.